The maximum advertised brightness is 1300 nits, but this is only achieved at its peak. It is especially the coating at the back of the Black Shark 5 Pro that I really like. But it also seems to be “insulating”, a bit like the sheaths on a pair of pliers for the lack of a better example. I feel like it provides extra protection against overheating for the hands. The featured Snapdragon 870 5G works hard on the Black Shark 4, with most non-gaming apps running at 120 (except YouTube). There was nothing on the Play Store (game-wise) that the Black Shark 4 wasn’t able to run.
That’s not what’s exciting here but the feature that deserves praise for Xiaomi is the refresh rate. In a gaming monitor, the refresh rate standard is 144 Hz, and the price of these monitors can often reach or exceed $ 1,000.
You’re going to have to buy spares if you want easier accessibility. The company’s CEO took to popular social network, Weibo, to tease the fast charging feature which could just about make it the fastest charging phone on the market. When you watch videos or start a live stream, your phone’s screen, CPU, and GPU work simultaneously. Unfortunately, the battery begins overheating due to these three working hard and drawing a lot of power.
Plus, I don’t have to worry about the accidental touches or the video wrapping over the edges. Around the rest of the phone, you’ll find a 3.5mm headphone jack on the bottom of the phone, placed next to the USB-C charging port. Another nice touch for a phone to include, and something we still are only seeing sporadically in phones. On the left side, there’s nothing to speak of other than the volume rocker and the SIM card slot. The spatialization of the sound is particularly good, which is very useful for hearing the footsteps of your opponents when playing a multiplayer game.
- The display is a strength here, being capable of 144Hz gaming with options to tone down to 60Hz or 90Hz, adding versatility right off the bat.
- I actually prefer these physical triggers over stock firmware the touch-sensitive ultrasonic ones on the Asus ROG Phone 5.
- The CPU is an Octa-core (1×3.2 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 585).
- Download the firmware file from the link below and follow the recommended flashing instructions immediately after the download options.
- Like the Asus ROG Phone 5 Ultimate that I recently reviewed, these phones have dual front-facing speakers with claims that they have good spatial audio separation.
Comparing the gameplay of just using the onscreen controls vs having the physical buttons is a huge difference. For shooters especially, being able to map your triggers to aiming down and the other to firing, makes you much more competitive. Your thumbs can focus on movement and aiming while your index fingers can handle shooting. Unlike with modern iPhones which have a 120Hz sampling rate, the slightest movements across the screen register more accurately.